A snowy wreath of creamy rice pudding crowned with a pretty red strawberry filling makes this dessert a colorful Christmas classic. It's also nice layered in parfait glasses and garnished with green mint leaves.
Recommended: 42 Easy Desserts That Keep Life Simple and Sweet
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1-3/4 cups cold milk, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a saucepan, combine the rice, 1-1/2 cups milk and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle gelatin over remaining milk; let stand for 1 minute. Stir in sugar. Microwave on high for 45 seconds; stir. Let stand for 1 minute or until gelatin and sugar are completely dissolved. Stir into hot rice. Transfer to a bowl. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour. Fold in the whipped cream. Spoon into a 5-cup ring mold coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until firm.
- Meanwhile, drain the strawberries, reserving 1 cup juice. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and reserved strawberry juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice. Cool for 10 minutes. Add strawberries and stir to coat. Refrigerate until chilled. Invert rice mold onto a serving platter and unmold. Fill center with strawberry mixture. Garnish with mint if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Rice Dessert in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2004, p48
Reviews for Strawberry Rice Dessert
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review