My mother, Lois Schmidt, has been making this bread for our family at Christmas for years. It's a big hit with everyone. The cream cheese filling pairs well with the strawberry flavor.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sliced strawberries, thawed
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In another bowl, combine the eggs, oil, strawberries and food coloring if desired. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- For filling, beat cream cheese in a small bowl. Add the egg, sugar, flour and extract; beat well.
- Spoon a fourth of the batter into each of two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Spread half of the filling over each. Top with the remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 70-80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil if top browns to quickly. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Strawberry Ribbon Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p29
Reviews for Strawberry Ribbon Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review