Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb (1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 to 4 drops red food coloring, optional
- Pound or angel food cake
- 1. In a saucepan, combine rhubarb, water, sugar, lemon peel and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until rhubarb is soft, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in strawberries, lemon juice and cinnamon. Add food coloring if desired. Cool. Serve over cake. Yield: 3 cups.
1/4 cup: 43 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 51mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), trace protein
Reviews for Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
"One cup is way too much water. As the rhubarb cooks, it releases water so you only need a little to get it started. It took a long time to cook this down to be thick enough for sauce. Otherwise the recipe was ok. I used orange juice/zest instead of lemon."
"This is a great recipe but I did tweek it a bit. I used Splenda instead of sugar and used equal amounts of strawberry and rhubarb and no food coloring. Family loved it!"
"Awesome. I am from Minnesota and rhubarb grew wild. In San Diego I have to buy rhubarb. It was worth it. This is delicious on angel food cake. Try it you'll like it."