Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
This versatile sauce brings a sunny new taste to pound cake, ice cream and bread pudding. I wouldn't be without it! As a mother of two, I don't have time for long, tricky recipes - this one fits my lifestyle.
-Mary Pittman, Shawnee, Kansas
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb (1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 to 4 drops red food coloring, optional
- Pound or angel food cake
- In a saucepan, combine rhubarb, water, sugar, lemon peel and salt;
- bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat
- until rhubarb is soft, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from the heat and
- let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in strawberries, lemon juice and
- cinnamon. Add food coloring if desired. Cool. Serve over cake.
- Yield: 3 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 43 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 51 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.