Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
In Harkers Island, North Carolina, Judith Waxman prepares a tart and tangy fruit sauce that's excellent over pound cake or ice cream. "I've served this rosy-colored mixture many times and gotten rave reviews from friends and family," she assures.
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 6 cups chopped rhubarb (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1/2 cup white grape juice
- 2 cups halved unsweetened strawberries
- Angel food cake, pound cake or vanilla ice cream
- Place rhubarb in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Combine sugar, orange peel and
- ginger; sprinkle over rhubarb. Add cinnamon stick and grape juice.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until rhubarb is tender.
- Stir in strawberries; cook 1 hour longer. Discard cinnamon stick.
- Serve with cake or ice cream. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1/2-cup serving (calculated without cake or ice cream) equals 115 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit.