Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb (1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 to 4 drops red food coloring, optional
- Pound or angel food cake
- In a saucepan, combine rhubarb, water, sugar, lemon peel and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat until rhubarb is soft, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in strawberries, lemon juice and cinnamon. Add food coloring if desired. Cool. Serve over cake. Yield: 3 cups.
Reviews for Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
Sort By :
"This is a great recipe but I did tweek it a bit. I used Splenda instead of sugar and used equal amounts of strawberry and rhubarb and no food coloring. Family loved it!"
"Awesome. I am from Minnesota and rhubarb grew wild. In San Diego I have to buy rhubarb. It was worth it. This is delicious on angel food cake. Try it you'll like it."