Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
My niece tasted this pie at a family dinner and urged me to enter it in our hometown pie contest. She said it win the Grand Prize, and she was right! I cook at our local nursing home and everyone enjoys this recipe. —Janice Schmidt, Baxter, Iowa
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sliced rhubarb
- 3 tablespoons strawberry gelatin powder
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, halved
- In a large saucepan, mix cornstarch and sugar. Stir in water until
- smooth. Add rhubarb; cook and stir until clear and thickened. Add
- gelatin and stir until dissolved. Cool.
- Pour about half of rhubarb sauce into pastry shell. Arrange berries
- over sauce; top with remaining sauce. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 268 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 114 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.