Strawberry-Rhubarb Meringue Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1. In a food processor, combine the all-purpose flour, pastry flour, almonds and salt; cover and pulse until blended. Add butter; cover and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. While processing, gradually add water until dough forms a ball.
- 2. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the egg, sugar, flour and cinnamon; stir in rhubarb and strawberries. Transfer to prepared crust. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Place pie on a wire rack; keep warm. Reduce heat to 350°.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and extract on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- 5. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 255 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 219 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.