- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a food processor, combine the all-purpose flour, pastry flour, almonds and salt; cover and pulse until blended. Add butter; cover and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. While processing, gradually add water until dough forms a ball.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, sugar, flour and cinnamon; stir in rhubarb and strawberries. Transfer to prepared crust. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Place pie on a wire rack; keep warm. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and extract on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry-Rhubarb Meringue Pie
"Very good! Just right on sweet to tart. I did not make the crust though."
"Delicious, fresh-tasting, and easy! I made a regular oil crust instead of the almond crust in this recipe. Otherwise I made the recipe as written, and my husband and kids love it!"
"I LOVE this pie! It is the best pie I have ever made! The crust is so tasty, but was hard to roll out, which was the only problem I had with making the pie. I also substituted tapioca for a thickener instead of the egg, and it turned out perfect! Thick filling, and not runny at all. I have a fresh crop of rhubarb, and I cannot wait to make this again!"
"I made this today..... It was delicious....The first time of making a Rhubarb pie with Meringue....Will be making this again. The crust was great also."
"I didn't have enough time to make the crust (though I'd like to try), but I used a store-bought crust with the remainder of the recipe, and it was yummy!"