I made this for my daughter's birthday, and everyone at the party declared it the best ice cream they had ever tasted. I certainly appreciated their high praise. —Mary Ann Hansen, St. Cloud, Minnesota
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons strawberry gelatin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, bring the rhubarb, 1/2 cup sugar and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Remove from the heat; sprinkle gelatin and cinnamon over rhubarb mixture. Let stand for 1 minute. Stir until dissolved. Cool to room temperature. Stir in marshmallows.
- In a large saucepan, heat the milk, salt and remaining sugar to 175°. Remove from the heat; stir in cream and vanilla. Refrigerate until chilled. Pour into cylinder of ice cream freezer; process for 10 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken. Add rhubarb mixture; freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 5 cups.
Originally published as Strawberry-Rhubarb Ice Cream in Taste of Home June/July 2010, p18
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry-Rhubarb Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review