Strawberry Rhubarb Dumplings
My family is fond of rhubarb and dumplings, so I combined the two in this tasty dessert. It's full of old-fashioned flavor.Beverly Draves, Beloit, Wisconsin
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups mashed strawberries
- 1 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- Whipped cream
- In a large saucepan, bring rhubarb, water, sugar and salt to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until rhubarb is
- tender. Stir in strawberries; return to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine biscuit mix and milk just until
- moistened. Drop batter in four mounds onto rhubarb mixture. Cook,
- uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cover and cook 5-8 minutes longer or
- until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Serve warm
- with whipped cream. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 419 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 487 mg sodium, 83 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein.