Strawberry Rhubarb Crunch Recipe
There's no tastier way to get all the good nutrition of oats—including B vitamins and iron—than a serving of this sweet, tasty crunch. It doesn't get soggy like some crunches do.—Frances Poste, Wall, South Dakota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:12-15 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 6 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in the oats. Press half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with rhubarb.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Pour over rhubarb. Sprinkle with gelatin powder. Top with remaining crumb mixture.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and topping is golden brown. Serve with ice cream if desired. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 406 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 151 mg sodium, 70 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC