Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumble Recipe
“I'm a 14 year-old with Celiac Disease. It's hard to find desserts I can eat, so I created this healthy and gluten-free recipe,” says Mikhala Stutzman of Granger, Iowa. “Splenda adds sweetness without calories in this great, low-calorie dessert anyone can enjoy!”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:4 servings
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons brown rice flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup gluten-free cornflakes, crushed
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cold reduced-fat butter
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, 1 tablespoon rice flour and cinnamon. Transfer to a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 2. In another bowl, combine the remaining rice flour, cornflakes, brown sugar and vanilla; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over fruit mixture.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
1/2 cup equals 253 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 72 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC