- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1-inch pieces)
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, mashed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb, strawberries and lemon juice. Cover and cook over medium heat about 5 minutes. Combine sugar and cornstarch; stir into saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat buttermilk, eggs and vanilla; stir into crumb mixture.
- Spread half of the batter evenly into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Carefully spread filling on top. Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls over filling.
- For topping, melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat; stir in flour and sugar until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Lay foil on lower rack to catch any juice fruit spillovers.
- Place coffee cake on middle rack; bake 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Cut in squares. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews for Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Sort By :
"This coffee cake is amazing! Perfect amount of fruit. Cake is nice and moist, not dried out like many coffee cakes and just the right amount of topping. The only thing I added was a heaping teaspoon of cinnamon just because I like cinnamon in my coffee cakes. This is a real keeper recipe. Even people who think they don't like rhubarb loved this recipe. Thank you so much for posting this!"
"This is wonderful!! I did bake it a little longer because it so tall in my 9 x 13 pan."
"I am always looking for ways to use the rhubarb that we grow and you certainly can't go wrong when you pair it with fresh strawberries. This recipe is perfect! I didn't have any lemons on hand so I actually substituted some fresh pineapple juice which I happened to have but other than that I made it as the recipe is written and wouldn't change a thing. I will make this again and again and again!"
"Have made this for years! We LOVE it!"
"What no cinnimon???"