Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake Recipe
Although my coffee cake makes a large pan, it never lasts very long! It's great for a Sunday brunch after church and nice to bring to family reunions, too.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:16-20 servings
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1-inch pieces)
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, mashed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb, strawberries and lemon juice. Cover and cook over medium heat about 5 minutes. Combine sugar and cornstarch; stir into saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat buttermilk, eggs and vanilla; stir into crumb mixture.
- 3. Spread half of the batter evenly into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Carefully spread filling on top. Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls over filling.
- 4. For topping, melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat; stir in flour and sugar until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Lay foil on lower rack to catch any juice fruit spillovers.
- 5. Place coffee cake on middle rack; bake 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Cut in squares. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 328 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 285 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC