The slightly sweet, slightly tart flavors of fresh rhubarb, strawberriesand a hint of citrusshine through in every bite of this springtime spin on traditional applesauce.Samantha Shupe, Ogden, Utah
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 large Golden Delicious apples, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons grated orange peel
- Combine apples and water in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat
- for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the rhubarb,
- strawberries, orange juice, sugar and orange peel.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-16 minutes or
- until desired consistency. Yield: 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 115 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.