From Litchfield, Connecticut, Helen Ward O'Key writes, "I cook the old-fashioned way, using locally grown berries and garden rhubarb for this favorite."
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 cup water
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 envelope whipped topping mix (Dream Whip)
- 1 graham cracker crust (9 inches)
- Whole fresh strawberries
- In a saucepan, bring rhubarb and water to a boil; remove from the
- heat. Add gelatin and stir until dissolved; cool. Stir in sliced
- strawberries; chill until it begins to thicken.
- Prepare whipped topping according to package directions; fold half
- into rhubarb mixture. Pour into crust. Chill 2 hours or until firm.
- Top with remaining whipped topping and whole strawberries. Yield: 6-8
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 226 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 172 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.