Strawberry Poppy Seed Cake Recipe
The only way to make this tasty cake better is to pair it with a creamy scoop of vanilla ice cream or a warm cup of coffee. Strawberry Festival of Maine
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed and drained
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and lemon peel. Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Transfer to a greased and floured 9-in. springform pan; spread batter slightly up sides of pan, forming a well. Combine filling ingredients; spoon into the well. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and milk; drizzle over cake. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 246 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 166 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC