- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen strawberries, thawed and drained
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and lemon peel. Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 9-in. springform pan; spread batter slightly up sides of pan, forming a well. Combine filling ingredients; spoon into the well. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and milk; drizzle over cake. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Strawberry Poppy Seed Cake
"I wish I would've read the reviews before making this. The outside was done, but the middle was raw slop. I cut off the edges and ate it with the strawberries I was able to salvage. Bummer!"
"This was ok, not something I would make again. Didn't care for the strawberries after being baked."
"It was very good and fairly easy to make but I made it twice and neither time could I get the center done. The second time I cooked it about 50 minutes at 375 degrees and the center was still a bit underdone. Wondered if anyone else had this problem. I thought the next time I would bake the batter about 20 minutes and then put the strawberry mix on and finish baking then."
"I made the cake... the outside was more than done in the 35 minutes but the middle was totally raw... ick!"