Strawberry Poke Cake Recipe
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- Fresh strawberries, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, eggs and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- 2. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. Using a serrated knife, level tops of cakes if necessary. Return layers, top side up, to two clean 9-in. round baking pans. Pierce cakes with a meat fork or wooden skewer at 1/2-in. intervals.
- 4. Drain juice from strawberries into a 2-cup measuring cup; refrigerate berries. Add water to juice to measure 2 cups; pour into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Chill for 30 minutes. Gently spoon over each cake layer. Chill for 2-3 hours.
- 5. Dip bottom of one pan in warm water for 10 seconds. Invert cake onto a serving platter. Top with reserved strawberries and 1 cup whipped topping. Place second cake layer over topping.
- 6. Frost cake with remaining whipped topping. Chill for at least 1 hour. Serve with fresh berries if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 376 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 301 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.