Strawberry Pineapple Pie Recipe
Treat your loved ones to a spring fruit pie. This luscious dessert has a pretty pink filling and a fluffy whipped cream topping. —Irene Caron, Loudon, New Hampshire
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling YIELD:8 servings
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 10 frozen unsweetened whole strawberries, thawed
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon extract, divided
- 5 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. Place pineapple and strawberries in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan. Stir in the tapioca, egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar; let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/2 teaspoon extract and food coloring if desired. Pour into pastry shell; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining sugar and extract; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over top of pie. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until set. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 663 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 97 mg cholesterol, 118 mg sodium, 127 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC