Relates Becky Duncan of Leming, Texas, "I stock up on locally grown berries for treats like this pie, which pairs them with pecans." She's received a ribbon from the Strawberry Festival food show at nearby Poteet.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, nutmeg and cinnamon. Add
- strawberries and pecans; toss gently.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a
- 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to
- 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add filling. Dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1/2-in.-wide
- strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal
- strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. Bake at 375° for
- 50-55 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 529 calories, 26 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 215 mg sodium, 72 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.