Strawberry Pecan Cookies
My dad's wife is always creating new recipes to use up the fruits and vegetables he grows in his garden. These cake-like cookies are one of her "masterpieces"!
39 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 7 fresh strawberries, crushed
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Red food coloring, optional
- Place strawberries in a blender, cover and process until pureed; set
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in
- puree just until blended. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda;
- gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in pecans
- and food coloring if desired.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake
- at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 131 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 80 mg sodium,