I get "oohs" and "aahs" when setting out this cool, fruity dessert. It combines my three all-time favorites-peaches, strawberries and ice cream. It's so simple I can assemble it for company after we all finish the main course.
- 3 cups fresh or frozen whole strawberries
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 slices or scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced peaches, drained
- Whipped topping
- In a large saucepan, mash strawberries; add sugar, water and lemon juice. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into the strawberry mixture. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Strain to remove the pulp. Place the pan in an ice-water bath to cool, stirring occasionally. Serve strawberry sauce over ice cream; top with peaches and whipped topping. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Peach Melba in Taste of Home June/July 1999, p25
Reviews for Strawberry Peach Melba
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 17, 2012
"This dessert in the wintertime is a wonderful reminder of summer. I actually don't remove the pulp and it is really nic."