Strawberry Orange Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, crushed
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/3 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a small bowl, combine strawberries and 3/4 cup sugar; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, heat the half-and-half to 175°. In a large saucepan, combine the flour and remaining sugar; stir in the half-and-half until smooth.
- 2. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes.
- 3. Stir in whipping cream, orange juice, lemon juice, vanilla and reserved strawberry mixture. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 4. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 4-1/2 quarts.
1/2 cup: 174 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 21mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (19g sugars, trace fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Strawberry Orange Ice Cream
"This is the most refreshing combination of flavours. Everyone loved it."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.