- 2 cups fresh strawberries, crushed
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/3 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine strawberries and 3/4 cup sugar; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, heat the half-and-half to 175°. In a large saucepan, combine the flour and remaining sugar; stir in the half-and-half until smooth.
- Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in whipping cream, orange juice, lemon juice, vanilla and reserved strawberry mixture. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 4-1/2 quarts.
Originally published as Strawberry Ice Cream in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p220
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Orange Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 23, 2009
"This is the most refreshing combination of flavours. Everyone loved it."