Strawberry Orange Ice Cream Recipe
Nothing says "Welcome Home" to out-of-town relatives as well as homemade ice cream. I make this for every family reunion. Barbara Sue Jones, Cedar City, Utah
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, crushed
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/3 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine strawberries and 3/4 cup sugar; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, heat the half-and-half to 175°. In a large saucepan, combine the flour and remaining sugar; stir in the half-and-half until smooth.
- Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in whipping cream, orange juice, lemon juice, vanilla and reserved strawberry mixture. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 4-1/2 quarts.
Originally published as Strawberry Ice Cream in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p220
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Orange Ice Cream(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 23, 2009
This is the most refreshing combination of flavours. Everyone loved it.
More Recipe Collections
- Berry Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Homemade Ice Cream >
- Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream >
- Ice Cream Recipes >
- July 4th Desserts >
- July 4th Recipes >
- Labor Day Desserts >
- Labor Day Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >
- Low Sodium Recipes >