Strawberry Nut Roll Recipe
The oldest of seven children, I did a lot of cooking and baking while I was growing up. Desserts like this refreshing rolled shortcake are my favorite. The nutty cake, creamy filling and fresh strawberries make pretty swirled slices.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup ground walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. Place egg whites in large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar. Stir in walnuts and break crumbs. Sift flour and salt together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick).
- 3. In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 15-17 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes.
- 5. Invert cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack. Slice six large strawberries in half; set aside for garnish. Thinly slice remaining berries; set aside.
- 6. For the filling, in a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and vanilla, beating until stiff peaks form. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in of edges. Top with sliced berries. Roll up again.
- 7. Place, seam side down, on serving platter. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Garnish with reserved strawberries. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Strawberry Nut Roll
Reviewed Jan. 13, 2012
"everyone who tries this loves it. It's a family favorite and frequently requested!"
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC