Strawberry Nut Roll Recipe
The oldest of seven children, I did a lot of cooking and baking while I was growing up. Desserts like this refreshing rolled shortcake are my favorite. The nutty cake, creamy filling and fresh strawberries make pretty swirled slices.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup ground walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar. Stir in walnuts and break crumbs. Sift flour and salt together twice; gradually add to yolk mixture and mix well (batter will be very thick).
- In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° for 15-17 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Invert cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack. Slice six large strawberries in half; set aside for garnish. Thinly slice remaining berries; set aside.
- For the filling, in a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and vanilla, beating until stiff peaks form. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in of edges. Top with sliced berries. Roll up again.
- Place, seam side down, on serving platter. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Garnish with reserved strawberries. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Nut Roll in Taste of Home December/January 2001, p25
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Nut Roll(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 13, 2012
everyone who tries this loves it. It's a family favorite and frequently requested!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Nut Recipes >
- Strawberry Cake >
- Strawberry Cake Recipe >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dessert Recipes >