I like to make sandwiches out of this quick bread by spreading the strawberry cream cheese between two slices.
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen sweetened sliced strawberries, thawed
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- 1-1/4 cups chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- Drain strawberries, reserving 1/2 cup juice. Set berries and juice aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Combine eggs, oil, strawberries and food coloring if desired; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in pecans.
- Pour into two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and reserved strawberry juice until fluffy; refrigerate. Serve with the bread. Yield: 2 loaves (2 cups spread).
Originally published as Strawberry Nut Bread in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1999, p19
Reviews for Strawberry Nut Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 6, 2010
"This recipe is very similar to one that has been passed through the generations in my family. I opt for walnuts versus pecans, but it is ultimately the primo love and comfort food for me... Enjoy!"