Strawberry Napoleon Recipe
I 'constructed' this elegant and popular creation 6 years ago, and my wife, Deci, embellished it into a work of art.—Dean Barns, Farmington, New Mexico
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 package (17-1/4 ounces) frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 pints fresh strawberries, sliced
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 1. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each pastry sheet to a 9-in. square. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Pour into a bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate, without stirring, until chilled.
- 3. For topping, beat cream in a chilled large bowl until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form.
- 4. Place one pastry square on a serving platter. Top with the custard, strawberries, sweetened whipped cream and second pastry. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
One serving equals 475 calories, 29 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 226 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC