- 1 package (17-1/4 ounces) frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 pints fresh strawberries, sliced
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each pastry sheet to a 9-in. square. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Pour into a bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate, without stirring, until chilled.
- For topping, beat cream in a chilled large bowl until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form.
- Place one pastry square on a serving platter. Top with the custard, strawberries, sweetened whipped cream and second pastry. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Strawberry Napoleon
"This is the best strawberry dessert recipe. I have had the actual "real thing" made by Dean for his restaurant - and can never get enough. I have made it on numerous ocassions and get rave reviews. I always try to pass it off as my own - but end up giving credit where credit is due! You can't go wrong!!"