- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup finely crushed saltines (about 10 crackers), divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cracker crumbs into a greased 9-in. pie plate; set aside.
- Add vanilla, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in pecans and remaining cracker crumbs.
- Spread evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of prepared pan. Bake at 300° for 45 minutes. Turn oven off and do not open door; let cool in the oven overnight.
- In a small heavy saucepan or microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Drizzle over crust. Let stand for 15 minutes or until set. Top with strawberries.
- In a chilled small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Spoon over berries. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Strawberry Meringue Pie
"This was a good dessert, a bit sweet but not overly so."
"had trouble getting out of pan, stuck to the bottom, also very sweet. sorry won't be doing this again."
"Sounds like a very good, very rich dessert. I think I will try it with everything but the whipping cream--use fat-free whipped topping to make it more Weight Watcher friendly. I'd like to know the points for it with the whipped topping."