- Remove from the oven and cool on baking sheets. When cooled
- completely, remove meringues from paper and store in an airtight
- container at room temperature.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until
- smooth. Spread 1 tablespoon over each meringue. Let stand until
- chocolate is set.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add
- confectioners' sugar and remaining vanilla, beating on high until
- stiff peaks form.
- Set aside 12 strawberries; cut remaining strawberries into 1/4-in.
- slices. Place 12 meringues on a flat serving platter. Spread each
- with 2 tablespoons whipped cream; top with sliced strawberries.
- Spread each with 2 tablespoons whipped cream. Top with remaining
- meringues and whipped cream. Loosely cover; refrigerate for up to 2
- Just before serving, drizzle with chocolate syrup. Cut reserved
- strawberries in half. Arrange cut side down over whipped cream.
- Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 311 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 48 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.