Strawberry Meringue Cups
Judy Grimes of Brandon, Mississippi likes to celebrate with something special from her oven that looks as good as it tastes. This pretty dessert- with red strawberries cupped in fluffy white meringue- fills the bill on both counts!
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- Place egg white in a bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30
- minutes. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat on medium speed until
- soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on
- high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Drop into four mounds on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Shape into
- 4-in. cups with the back of a spoon. Bake at 225° for 1-1/2
- hours or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven
- for 1-1/2 hours. Store in an airtight container.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add
- confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Just before
- serving, spoon into meringue shells. Top with strawberries and
- garnish with mint if desired. Yield: 4 servings.