Strawberry Meringue Cake Recipe
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups orange juice
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, divided
- 1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, orange juice, egg yolks and orange peel; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans; set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, a tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Spread the meringue evenly over cake batter.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool in pans on wire racks (meringue will crack).
- 5. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Mash 1/2 cup of strawberries with remaining sugar; fold into whipped cream.
- 6. Loosen edges of cakes from pans with a knife. Using two large spatulas, carefully remove one cake to a serving platter, meringue side up. Carefully spread with about two-thirds of the cream mixture. Slice the remaining berries; arrange half over cream mixture. Repeat layers. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 piece: 337 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 231mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Strawberry Meringue Cake
"I have been making this recipe, with the exception that I use a Strawberry cake Mix, for my daughters birthday for the last 25 years. I found the recipe on the inside of a egg carton."
"Made this for an outdoor get together and everyone loved it."
"I made this recipe a month ago. I had some un expected company coming that night and I had some strawberries I was needing to use up. I followed the recipe exactly... I had some trouble getting the cakes out of the pans due to the meringue but will some work I got them out in one piece. (next time I will use wax paper). I was so scared to serve this cake, due to never trying anything like this before... but it was a huge hit, there was only two pieces left over and my husband who never raves about any cakes loved it soo much I am making it today for his birthday!"
"This is fairly easy to make, it looks like a lovely, and it tastes out of this world. The orange juice and zest really makes this one!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.