Strawberry Meringue Cake Recipe
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups orange juice
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, divided
- 1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, orange juice, egg yolks and orange peel; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans; set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, a tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Spread the meringue evenly over cake batter.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool in pans on wire racks (meringue will crack).
- 5. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Mash 1/2 cup of strawberries with remaining sugar; fold into whipped cream.
- 6. Loosen edges of cakes from pans with a knife. Using two large spatulas, carefully remove one cake to a serving platter, meringue side up. Carefully spread with about two-thirds of the cream mixture. Slice the remaining berries; arrange half over cream mixture. Repeat layers. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 337 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 231 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.