- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups orange juice
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, divided
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, orange juice, egg yolks and orange peel; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans; set aside.
- In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar, a tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Spread the meringue evenly over cake batter.
- Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool in pans on wire racks (meringue will crack).
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Mash 1/2 cup of strawberries with remaining sugar; fold into whipped cream.
- Loosen edges of cakes from pans with a knife. Using two large spatulas, carefully remove one cake to a serving platter, meringue side up. Carefully spread with about two-thirds of the cream mixture. Slice the remaining berries; arrange half over cream mixture. Repeat layers. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Meringue Cake
Sort By :
Made this for an outdoor get together and everyone loved it.
I made this recipe a month ago. I had some un expected company coming that night and I had some strawberries I was needing to use up. I followed the recipe exactly... I had some trouble getting the cakes out of the pans due to the meringue but will some work I got them out in one piece. (next time I will use wax paper). I was so scared to serve this cake, due to never trying anything like this before... but it was a huge hit, there was only two pieces left over and my husband who never raves about any cakes loved it soo much I am making it today for his birthday!
This is fairly easy to make, it looks like a lovely, and it tastes out of this world. The orange juice and zest really makes this one!
This cake is absolutely wonderful!! There is nothing I would change about the recipe as it is already perfect! I've made it many times, and as a treat for a special co-worker. Every year she gets so excited when it's her birthday because she knows she is going to get this cake. :)
I made this for my daughters birthday and it was amazing. The orange juice makes this cake so moist. I used parchment paper on the bottom of the cake pan.