Don't let the number of steps in this recipe fool you —it's easy to assemble. The cake bakes up high and fluffy, and the berries add a fresh fruity flavor. Cream cheese is a good substitute if you don't have mascarpone cheese handy. —Carol Witczak, Tinley Park, Illinois
Featured In: 21 Easter Cake Recipes
- 6 cups fresh strawberries, halved (2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Grease bottoms of two 8-in. round baking pans; line with parchment paper. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together twice; place in another large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, 1-1/4 cups sugar, oil, water, orange peel and almond extract until blended. Add to flour mixture; beat until well blended.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Gently transfer to prepared pans. Bake on lowest oven rack 30-35 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for whipped cream, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour. For filling, in a small bowl, beat mascarpone cheese and cream until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until assembling.
- Drain strawberries, reserving juice mixture. Using a serrated knife, trim tops of cakes if domed. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Brush with half of reserved juice mixture; spread with 3/4 cup filling. Arrange strawberries over top, creating an even layer; spread with remaining filling. Brush remaining cake layer with remaining juice mixture; place layer over filling, brushed side down.
- Gently stir whipped cream; spread over top and sides of cake. Just before serving, arrange strawberries over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Mascarpone Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p185
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Mascarpone Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 11, 2016