Don't let the number of steps in this recipe fool you —it's easy to assemble. The cake bakes up high and fluffy, and the berries add a fresh fruity flavor. Cream cheese is a good substitute if you don't have mascarpone cheese handy. —Carol Witczak, Tinley Park, Illinois
Featured In: 21 Easter Cake Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 cups fresh strawberries, halved (2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Grease bottoms of two 8-in. round baking pans; line with parchment paper. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together twice; place in another large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks, 1-1/4 cups sugar, oil, water, orange peel and almond extract until blended. Add to flour mixture; beat until well blended.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- Gently transfer to prepared pans. Bake on lowest oven rack 30-35 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for whipped cream, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour. For filling, in a small bowl, beat mascarpone cheese and cream until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until assembling.
- Drain strawberries, reserving juice mixture. Using a serrated knife, trim tops of cakes if domed. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Brush with half of reserved juice mixture; spread with 3/4 cup filling. Arrange strawberries over top, creating an even layer; spread with remaining filling. Brush remaining cake layer with remaining juice mixture; place layer over filling, brushed side down.
- Gently stir whipped cream; spread over top and sides of cake. Just before serving, arrange strawberries over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Mascarpone Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2015, p185
Reviews forStrawberry Mascarpone Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 11, 2016