Strawberry-Mallow Cake Roll Recipe
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cartons (8 ounces each) spreadable strawberry cream cheese
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided
- Chocolate syrup, optional
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside.
- 2. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter; fold in remaining whites.
- 4. Gently spoon into prepared pan. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and marshmallow creme. Unroll cake; spread cream cheese mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with 2-1/2 cups strawberries. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a platter. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 6. Just before serving, garnish with remaining strawberries. Serve with chocolate syrup if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 271 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 212 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.