Strawberry Lemon Shortcake Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 large egg yolk
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. In a small bowl, mix softened butter and lemon peel until blended. In another bowl, toss strawberries with sugar; let stand while preparing shortcakes.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon peel and salt; cut in cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk milk and egg yolk until blended; add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork just until moistened.
- 3. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 4-5 times. Divide dough into four portions; pat each into a 3/4-in.-thick circle. Place 2 in. apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until soft peaks form.
- 5. To serve, split shortcakes in half. Top bottoms with whipped cream and strawberries. Spread tops with lemon-butter mixture; place over strawberries. Yield: 4 servings.
1 shortcake: 394 calories, 21g fat (13g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein .
Reviews for Strawberry Lemon Shortcake
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.