Strawberry Lemon Shortcake Recipe
“Fresh citrus zest brings out the best flavor you’ll ever taste in strawberry shortcake,” Nancy Hooper assures from Glen Burnie, Maryland.
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- LEMON BUTTER:
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- In a small bowl, combine strawberries and sugar; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the milk, egg yolk and lemon peel; stir into crumb mixture until a soft dough forms (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 10 times. Divide dough in half. Gently pat or roll each half into a 3/4-in.-thick circle. Place 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack; cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine butter and lemon peel; set aside. In another small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates; spread with lemon butter, then top each with a fourth of the strawberries and whipped cream. Cover with shortcake top and remaining berries and cream. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Lemon Shortcake in Cooking for 2 Summer 2006, p60
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Lemon Shortcake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Desserts for Two >
- Desserts Recipes For Two >
- Lemon Cake >