Strawberry-Lemon Angel Cake
"I couldn't decide how to use the lemon curd a friend had given me, so I tried spreading it between layers of angel food cake," relates Marietta Eklund of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. "I topped each piece with strawberries. We loved it!"
14 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 4 to 5 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions.
- For lemon curd, in the top of a double boiler, beat eggs and sugar.
- Stir in the lemon juice, butter and lemon peel. Cook over simmering
- water for 15 minutes or until mixture has thickened and a
- thermometer reads 160°. Strain to remove peel and stir in food
- coloring if desired. Refrigerate.
- Split cake horizontally into three layers. Place bottom layer on a
- serving plate; top with a third of the lemon curd. Repeat layers
- twice. Refrigerate until serving. Garnish with strawberries. Yield:
- 14 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 piece with strawberries) equals 248 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 256 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber,