Strawberry-Lemon Angel Cake Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 4 to 5 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1. Prepare cake batter according to package directions.
- 2. For lemon curd, in the top of a double boiler, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in the lemon juice, butter and lemon peel. Cook over simmering water for 15 minutes or until mixture has thickened and a thermometer reads 160°. Strain to remove peel and stir in food coloring if desired. Refrigerate.
- 3. Split cake horizontally into three layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with a third of the lemon curd. Repeat layers twice. Refrigerate until serving. Garnish with strawberries. Yield: 14 servings.
One serving (1 piece with strawberries) equals 248 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 256 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.