Strawberry Jam Cake Recipe
When I need a cake for a special occasion, this is my go-to recipe because everyone is crazy about it. Every year I make it for a cake raffle we have at work for Relay for Life. It has raised a lot of money for a very good cause.—Tammy Urbina, Warner Robins, Georgia
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 2 cups pureed strawberries
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup pureed strawberries
- 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 1 cup seedless strawberry jam, divided
- Sliced fresh strawberries, optional
- 1. Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the strawberries, sour cream and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture. Transfer batter to prepared pans.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 22-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, strawberries and extract; beat until smooth.
- 5. Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; top with 1/2 cup jam and 1/2 cup frosting. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Garnish with sliced strawberries if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice (calculated without sliced strawberries) equals 706 calories, 28 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 377 mg sodium, 110 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC