Strawberry Italian Ice
"We discovered Italian ice about a year ago, and it has become a family favorite," reports Jay Hansen of Winter Haven, Florida. "The recipes I found, however, required quite a bit of sugar, so I developed my own version using fresh strawberries, fruit juice concentrate and a hint of lemon."
5 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + freezing
- 3/4 cup thawed unsweetened apple juice concentrate
- 1 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- Fresh mint, optional
- In a blender, combine the apple juice concentrate, lemon juice and
- strawberries; cover and process until blended. Pour into an
- ungreased 8-in. square dish. Cover and freeze for 1-1/2 to 2 hours
- or until partially set.
- Spoon into a large bowl; beat on medium speed for 1-1/2 minutes.
- Return to dish; freeze for 2-3 hours or until firm.
- Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with mint
- if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 109 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 12 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit.