Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
When we're out in the fields on hot summer days, our family always looks forward to coming in to a cool, refreshing bowl of strawberry ice cream. But even when it's cold outside, we seem to find an excuse to make this treat!
- 6 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1-1/2 pints strawberries, hulled
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Red food coloring
- In a heavy saucepan and using a whisk, combine flour, 2 cups sugar and salt. Beat in eggs and milk until well blended. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats a spoon (about 45 minutes). Do not boil. Cover with plastic wrap. Allow to cool for at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl and using a potato masher, crush berries with lemon juice and remaining sugar. Let stand for 1 hour. Pour cream, vanilla, food coloring, egg mixture and berry mixture into an ice cream freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Yield: 3 quarts.
Originally published as Strawberry Ice Cream in Country Extra May 1993, p49
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Ice Cream(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review