Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 pints strawberries, hulled
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Red food coloring
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine flour, 2 cups sugar and salt. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat immediately.
- 3. Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl and using a potato masher, crush berries with lemon juice and remaining sugar. Let stand 1 hour. Stir cream, vanilla, food coloring if desired and berry mixture into custard.
- 5. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with remaining ice cream mixture. Yield: 3 quarts.
1/2 cup: 209 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (29g sugars, trace fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Strawberry Ice Cream
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.