Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 pints strawberries, hulled
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Red food coloring
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine flour, 2 cups sugar and salt. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat immediately.
- 3. Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl and using a potato masher, crush berries with lemon juice and remaining sugar. Let stand 1 hour. Stir cream, vanilla, food coloring if desired and berry mixture into custard.
- 5. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with remaining ice cream mixture. Yield: 3 quarts.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 209 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 155 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Strawberry Ice Cream
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.