- microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Cool to
- room temperature.
- To assemble, place one meringue, flat side down, on a serving plate;
- spread with half of the melted chocolate. In a large bowl, beat
- cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and
- remaining vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread half over
- chocolate layer. Arrange sliced strawberries over whipped cream.
- Spread flat side of remaining meringue with melted chocolate. Place
- chocolate side down over strawberries; spread with remaining whipped
- cream. Refrigerate for up to 4 hours before serving. Garnish with
- halved strawberries. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 247 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 42 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.