Strawberry-Hazelnut Meringue Shortcakes Recipe
In summer the strawberry farms are open for picking. I serve strawberries with a crunchy hazelnut meringue cookie. — Barbara Estabrook, Rhinelander, Wisconsin
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 6 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 4 cups low-fat frozen yogurt
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 250°. Beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- 3. Drop meringue into eight mounds on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. With the back of a spoon, shape into 3-in. cups. Sprinkle with hazelnuts. Bake 45-50 minutes or until set and dry. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1 hour. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheets. Remove meringues from paper.
- 4. Place 3 cups strawberries in a large bowl; mash slightly. Stir in remaining strawberries. Just before serving, top meringues with frozen yogurt and strawberries. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 212 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 74 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC