In summer the strawberry farms are open for picking. I serve strawberries with a crunchy hazelnut meringue cookie. —Barbara Estabrook, Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Featured In: 12 Shortcake Recipes for Berry Lovers
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 6 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 4 cups low-fat frozen yogurt
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250°. Beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Using a measuring cup and spatula or an ice cream scoop, drop meringue into eight even mounds on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. With the back of a spoon, shape into 3-in. cups. Sprinkle with hazelnuts. Bake 45-50 minutes or until set and dry. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1 hour. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheets. Remove meringues from paper.
- Place 3 cups strawberries in a large bowl; mash slightly. Stir in remaining strawberries. Just before serving, top meringues with frozen yogurt and strawberries. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry-Hazelnut Meringue Shortcakes in Taste of Home June/July 2013
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry-Hazelnut Meringue Shortcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 9, 2016
"Easy and taste better than pound cake or shortcake cups. My husband asked for me to make it again."
Reviewed Jul. 18, 2014
"Great Taste Was Delish !!!"
Reviewed Apr. 28, 2014 Edited Apr. 29, 2014
"Easy recipe and taste great."