My husband and I discovered this nutty French toast at a bed & breakfast in Arkansas. We bought their cookbook so we could make it at home. We've changed it over the years, but it still reminds us of that lovely inn.—Lynn Daniel, Dallas, TX
Recommended: 10 Easy Breakfast Recipes to Make for Mom
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 10 slices French bread baguette (1 inch thick)
- 5 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut liqueur or hazelnut flavoring syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Sliced fresh strawberries and chopped hazelnuts
- In a microwave, melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup; stir until brown sugar is blended. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; top with bread.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cream, liqueur and vanilla; pour over bread. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove French toast from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until puffed, edges are golden and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve with strawberries and hazelnuts. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry-Hazelnut French Toast in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2015, p27
Reviews for Strawberry-Hazelnut French Toast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review