“This tart heralds lazy summer days when strawberries are at their sweetest and juiciest. It’s entirely customizable, too. You can substitute any refrigerated cookie dough for the crust.” —Chantal Bourbon, Montreal, Quebec
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 4 cups halved fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup seedless strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg white and ginger. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. tart pan.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Sprinkle with chips. Bake 4-5 minutes longer or until chocolate is melted; spread over crust. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth; spread over chocolate. Top with strawberries. In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave jam in 10-second intervals until melted; brush over strawberries. Sprinkle with ginger. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Strawberry Ginger Tart in Simple & Delicious June/July 2011, p33
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Strawberry Ginger Tart
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 26, 2016
"Wonderful tart! I love the combination of ginger & strawberries. Even the crust is very flavorful."