Strawberry French Toast Recipe
Fresh berries and cream cheese create the creamy middle in these French toast sandwiches. "Because you prepare this breakfast bake the night before, it's perfect for overnight guests," writes Karen Sharp from Harvard, Illinois. "Serve it with bacon and fresh fruit."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1-inch slices
- 10 eggs
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream or heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- STRAWBERRY SAUCE:
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Maple syrup, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, strawberries and confectioners' sugar until blended. Spread about 2 tablespoons on one side of half the bread slices; top with remaining bread.
- 2. Place sandwiches in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, cream and vanilla. Pour over bread. Turn each sandwich. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 3. With a slotted spatula, transfer sandwiches to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Discard any remaining egg mixture. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes; turn and bake 10 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- 4. Meanwhile, for the sauce, combine the strawberries, sugar and water in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve French toast with strawberry sauce and maple syrup if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 329 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 230 mg cholesterol, 373 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC